Reflections on Motherhood and Life as a Doula

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Nesting...

I feel like I go through all the "symptoms" of labor when I am waiting for a client to go into labor. 
I am nesting like you wouldn't believe.  Unfortunately my kids aren't cooperating, so it is turning into a meltdown frantic kind of day.

Part of me wonders if the nesting is because of the connection I have with laboring women.  The other part of me just wonders if it is because I know that while I am with a laboring woman, somebody will probably be at my house watching the kids - and I get so embarrassed if it is messy.

Either way, I'm nesting.  Uncontrollably.  I am hoping this is the only symptom I experience.  With one of my other clients, I knew when she went into labor before she called me.  I started to get really crampy and within minutes, my phone rang.  At least in the future I won't think something is dreadfully wrong with me, and I can just go ahead and take that as a sign to start getting my things together for the birth.

I am so looking forward to this upcoming birth.  Any day now, another beautiful baby will be in the arms of his beautiful mother.  What a wonderful life I have, being able  to witness this and help these amazing, powerful women enjoy their birthing experiences.

I think I need to put down the cleaning supplies, brew a cup of tea, and share some quality time with my amazing kids.  The beautiful thing about what I do, is that I can share my experiences with my kids.  They love to hear the stories of the babies growing in their mommy's bellies and how the babies come out into this world.  Not only do I get to share the miraculous stories with them, but I am able to reflect on what it is that I do.  Awesome!

Before I brew that cup of tea, I think I'm gonna pop on some tunes and wash the kitchen floor.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment