I have had many clients and friends ask me about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum. The number one question out of every hospital birthing mother is this, "What are the best things to pack in my hospital bag?"
I have put together a generic list that obviously can be adjusted depending on the mother and her personal comforts and needs.
- Your labor/birth outfit. It can be difficult to talk the hospital staff out of making you wear the hospital gown but if you can, make sure it is something comfy that is easily removed and you don't mind it getting bloody and dirty. OR if you are like me, you can just give birth in YOUR birthday suit. :)
- PJ or sweatpants and comfortable t-shirts or other kind of nursing top. Make sure these are in your maternity size because it will be quite sometime before you are back to your non-pregnant state.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Shower supplies. Leave the loofah at home and replace it with a nice soft (baby) washcloth for washing those sensitive areas after birth.
- Socks and slippers. Socks because I find the hospital rooms to be a bit chilly, and slippers so you can walk around safely without having to put on shoes.
- Your own pillow.
- A snack bag. Great to have while in labor and postpartum while you wait for the kitchen to be open for mealtimes. I suggest bringing granola, nuts, fruit bars, crackers...
- Essential oils. For aromatherapy purposes.
- Herbal teas for relaxation and recovery.
- Some source of music (Ipod, Ipad, Boombox, Computer...)
- A book to read
- And of course your BIRTH PLAN
What else would you add to this list?