Reflections on Motherhood and Life as a Doula

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

To My Daughter

My dear Delaney Jo,

And so it begins.  The life of an amazing girl, woman.  You are going to touch so many hearts.  You already have.

I spent 9+ months carrying you in my womb.  And in that time, I read hundreds of books and articles, and I watched dozens of films trying to figure out one thing:  How to give my baby the most peaceful, spiritual, gentle entrance into this world.

My discovery?  To never leave my home.  Our home.

Every time I would put Stephen down for his nap or to bed for the night, I would pick up where I left off in my books.  And every time I would read about the birth I desired, you would kick me like crazy.  It was my sign.  You were literally nudging me in the right direction.  And here you are.  The girl that made me whole again.

I lost my faith in God and in Mother Nature, and most importantly, I lost faith in myself.  I needed you to remind me how amazing and powerful I am with the help and love from God.  You are my angel. 

I labored, and doubted my ability.  I labored, and grew confident in your ability.  I pushed, and grew confident in our ability.  And then out you came.  Your Daddy handed you between my legs and into my arms. 

Peacefully
Spiritually
Gently

You are so beautiful and perfect.  Your smile warms my heart and soul.  Your laughter brings the sunshine.

I will love you and protect you forever.

I can't wait to see your life unfold.  Don't ever forget where you came from.  Love everyone for their strengths as well as their faults.  Pray.  Everyday.

May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
I love you.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment